Sunday, May 10, 2009

Philippians 3:12-14

12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven.

New Living Translation

I wish I were perfect.  I'm not.  I do foolish things, usually by mistake, despite my best intentions.  And I'm not very kind to myself.  Nobody has to be critical of me...I do it better all by myself!  

It would be wise for me to learn from what Paul is saying.  Whether it is accidental failures or blatant sin, the things in my past I can't change.  I am not helping myself by beating myself up for it.  In fact, doing so only keeps me bound to shame, increasing the chances of my failing again.

It is far better to really believe what scripture says about forgiveness.  God blots out the stain of our sin.  He separates us as far from our guilt as east is from west.  Jesus paid for all my sins, completely.  I don't have to hang on to them.

I need to let go, make myself stop thinking about them, and move on in grace.  Thank You God, for Your amazing grace!

No comments: