Sunday, May 10, 2009

Luke 17:5-6

5 One day the apostles said to the Lord, “We need more faith; tell us how to get it.”

6 “Even if you had faith as small as a mustard seed,” the Lord answered, “you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘May God uproot you and throw you into the sea,’ and it would obey you!

New Living Translation

I can relate to the disciples' dilemma.  I need more faith too.  How do I get it? 

Jesus didn't give them instructions on where to find, or purchase, more faith.  Instead he told them that if they had just a little faith, great things could happen.

For a long time, I was frustrated by that answer.  “Jesus, You didn't answer the question!  I know if I have that faith, I can move trees, or even mountains, as You said.  But where do I get that faith?

But Jesus did answer the question, I just missed it.  I was looking for where to get newer, stronger faith.  Jesus was saying, You already have what you need.  Use it!  When you do, you will see miracles, and your faith will grow stronger.

This is a challenge to me, because sometimes my faith seems so defective, I'm pretty sure it couldn't rescue me from a cellophane wrapper blowing in the wind, much less move a mountain!  But the first step in exercising faith, is trusting that if Jesus says I have what I need already, then I need to actually believe that, and use it.

Lord, I need faith today - this very minute!  Help me to use what You have already given, and help it to grow stronger.

No comments: