Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Online Mentors

Lately, as I have been trying to learn how to be a church planter, I have connected with many potential mentors. There are pastors/leaders I follow on Twitter who post regular blogs with leadership skills. There are church planter organizations that send me newsletters with articles that attempt to teach me how to reach the lost and be a better pastor. There are even some that are constantly trying to sell me books or other resources that surely will make all the difference in our weekly attendance and giving levels. And I am discovering that I'm getting burned out on them.

It's not that anything they are saying or doing is bad. They have great points to make, many of them learned the hard way. I think the reality of my reaction right now is twofold.

1. Most of them are pastors of hundreds, not a dozen. The things they talk about may apply to me someday, or they may apply to me on a lesser scale, but over all we dwell in completely different universes. I don't need to hear how to motivate the masses, or how to corral huge movements. I work in a secular job with about half of my congregation. We are constantly interacting. They see my behavior in real life on a daily basis, and apparently they approve enough to allow me to lead this church. What I crave from these mentors is to know how to hear the voice of God, and how to see Him come meet with our group of 12 in such a powerful way that the room shakes. Don't teach me how to be a better leader or a better speaker. Teach me to know God better!

2. Some of what I am reading is starting to feel like gimmicks. I know this is not the case with most of these men, because I see their character and know that they have proven their mettle. They are trying to take their experiences, many learned the hard way, and teach those of us who follow with simple, easy to remember lists. Their intentions are pure. But in part because of the volume of such posts available and in part because of my natural desire to look for formulas and shortcuts, I find myself looking not for the principles behind the words, but a clear-cut path to success.

It is #2 that scares me.

I suspect this is why Jesus didn't give the disciples - or us - a list of 10 Ways to Be Fishers of Men. Instead He told them to be fishers of men, and then modeled that in His daily life. It is harder to find the "how-to" this way, but it is best. We read the stories of how Jesus was a fisher of souls, and look for how we can do the same today in our context. Most of the time, this takes a lot of thought and prayer. It would be easier to have a checklist of things to do or not to do, but each situation calls for a unique approach.

I do appreciate the many blogs and lessons posted by my online mentors, and I will likely continue to read them. But my reason for reading them has changed. Instead of looking for keys that will help me grow my church, I will be reading them for things that will challenge my character. God will take care of my church, and it will grow or not grow in His will and in His timing.

My attitudes, desires, and my complete submission to God are within my control though. And as I follow those who have gone before, I will depend on their lessons to show me the subtle traps that can allow sin to get in the way of my mission.

And as for those who are constantly trying to sell me something that will produce an instant 20% increase in giving, or 10% more visitors next Sunday - forget it! Devotion to God can't be bought in a program. I'll stick to making disciples the slow and dangerous way.

1 comment:

David said...

I can empathize. Even if you don't call them "gimmicks", they are often marketing techniques that depend more on numbers and percentages than they do on God. What happened on the day of Pentecost was something entirely different.