Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Matthew 8:23-27
Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
Jesus responded, “Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!” Then he got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly there was a great calm.
The disciples were amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked. “Even the winds and waves obey him!”
New Living Translation

I was listening to a podcast by Pastor Judah Smith from The City Church in Seattle this afternoon, and he was preaching from this passage. He said something that really caught my attention, and I've been thinking about it ever since.

He said that after the disciples saw Jesus calm the storm, they were in awe of Jesus and what He was able to do. Before that, these same men were in awe of the storm.

The storms in life steal our awe, according to Pastor Smith. He said that we focus our attention on the storm, on our circumstances, and this makes the storm the most important thing in our life. In essence, we worship these storms.

I have been struck with the reality of this statement. How many times have I found myself obsessing over the trials and tribulations that life brings? I never before thought of that obsession as being a form of worship.

While Jesus was napping in the boat, the disciples were completely focused in on the storm. They believed that it was the most powerful force in their presence. Because of this error, they were consumed with fear.

Jesus scolded them for having so little faith, not because they found the storm frightening. He scolded them because they focused on the storm, seeing it as the ultimate power, instead of focusing on Jesus, and knowing that He was stronger than any storm.

Lord, please help me to keep my focus on You. I can't ignore the storms in life. It would be insanity to pretend they don't exist. But they are not stronger or bigger or more powerful than You. Help me to keep my perspective straight, and to worship only You.

No comments: