Thursday, July 23, 2009

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
We are human, but we don’t wage war with human plans and methods. 4 We use God’s mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the Devil’s strongholds. 5 With these weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With these weapons we conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ.
New Living Translation

I have been thinking a lot about this passage lately. There are times my life, what I do all day long, feels futile. I'm working all day in a chemistry lab, engrossed in my samples and the level of ammonia, nitrogen, phenol, or alkalinity. Working in the same lab with me are people I care about deeply, who do not know Jesus. We are focusing all our energy on what is in our drinking water or waste water, but the eternal destiny of their souls is being ignored.

There is no scientific test I can run to prove to them that they need God. They know my beliefs, we talk about it frequently. But some of them are fringe church attenders, some are skeptics, and a few are self declared atheists. One thing that is evident not only to me, but to anyone who has ever tried to witness, is that you cannot debate anyone into the Kingdom of God.

I can't bear the thought of these souls suffering for eternity. I don't understand how I can enjoy heaven if I have any responsibility for anyone else not being there as well. But nothing I can do can change the situation.

The same is not true for the Holy Spirit.

When humans want to change someone's mind, they rely on evidence. They make the best case possible, and present it. Sometimes they escalate to arguing. In some sad cases, illustrated by the recent murder of an abortion doctor, they even resort to violence. None of these tactics will ever bring someone to their knees before the cross.

We cannot win the battle with human methods or techniques. We must rely on the Holy Spirit. His Word is our Sword. I will confess at times it seems completely ineffective because those I am trying to reach reject the Word as any kind of authority. However, whether they reject it or not, it is doing it's work under the surface.

We are told in Scripture that nobody can accept Jesus until the Holy Spirit draws them to Him. We need to depend on constant, fervent prayer for those who are lost. We don't need to convince anyone of anything. God will do that. We just need to be available to do whatever God may ask us to do along the way.

No comments: